When the Volume Shadow Copy Service error occurs, the system recovery utility may not be able to restore Windows. In addition, the Windows Backup tool may not work when you try to copy files to an external USB storage device.
Here are some resolutions that may fix some bugs in Windows 10’s Volume Shadow Copy service.
How do I correct the Volume Shadow Copy Service error?
These are two VSS error messages that can appear on Windows: and they look like the images above:
The Volume Shadow Copy service failed. Refer to the event logs of the VSS and SPP applications for more information.
The volume filtering service that System Restore uses does not work. See the event log for more information.
1. Check that Volumeshadow copy service is running.
- Go to the Windows search bar.
- Then enter and select the keyword services to open the window directly below.
- Scroll down and double-click Volume Shadow Copy to open a window with the snapshot directly below it.
- Select Automatic from the Startup type drop-down list.
- If the service is stopped at this time, press the start button.
- Click Apply and OK.
- Then restart your desktop or laptop.
2. Delete unnecessary files for all partitions in drive
- Open the Windows search bar and type Disk Cleanup in the search box.
- Select Disk Cleanup to open the window shown in the following image. Data
- Select the partition of the hard drive you want to scan from the drop-down menu and click OK.
- Then check the boxes in the lower window and click OK to delete the selected file categories.
- Click the Delete Files button to confirm.
- In addition to unwanted files, you can also remove restore points from the system. To do this, click the Delete System Files button in the Delete Disk window.
- Then select a hard disk partition and click OK.
- Then select the Advanced tab below. Data
- Click the Remove button to remove restore points from the system.
Pay attention: Some users have fixed VSS errors by using Disk Cleanup in Windows to remove unwanted files from disk partitions. If you have two or more hard disk partitions, you should check each partition with the disk cleanup utility.
There are many third-party utilities that can be used to remove unnecessary files, but here’s how to use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10.
3. Disable Windows Firewall
- Type Windows Defender Firewall into the Windows search box.
- Select it to open the Windows Defender firewall.
- Click Enable or Disable Windows Defender Firewall to open the following options.
- Select Disable Windows Defender Firewall settings and click OK.
Pay attention: Disable the Windows firewall to ensure that it does not interfere with the VSS in any way.
4. Disable anti-virus software
Disable not only the Windows firewall, but also third-party antivirus software. Some antivirus programs can be temporarily disabled by right-clicking their icon in the system tray and selecting Disable.
However, if you cannot find the disabled option in the taskbar context menu, open the main antivirus software window and select the disable option there.
volume shadow copy service error windows 10, volume shadow copy service error 0x80042302 windows 10, volume shadow copy service error 8193, volume shadow copy service error 0x8007045b, volume shadow copy service error shutdown, volume shadow copy service error windows server 2012 r2, volume shadow copy service error 0x81000202, volume shadow copy service error: unexpected error querying for the ivsswritercallback interface